2020年11月8日 6:07 AM #5389Andrew Chambersゲスト
by Colm Tóibín
- Awards: Booker Prize Nominee for Longlist (2009), Costa Book Award for Novel (2009), Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Fiction (2009), International Dublin Literary Award Nominee (2011)
- Format: hardcover, 262 pages
- Places: Enniscorthy, Brooklyn, New York City, New York
- Characters: Eilis Lacey, Father Flood, Mrs Kehoe, Rose Lacey, Antonio “Tony” Giuseppe Fiorello
- Author: Colm Tóibín
- Genres: fiction, ireland, historical, romance, adult
- Language: english
- Release date: May 5, 2009
- ISBN: 9781439138311 (1439138311)
- Publisher: Scribner
About The Book
Hauntingly beautiful and heartbreaking, Colm Tóibín’s sixth novel, Brooklyn, is set in Brooklyn and Ireland in the early 1950s, when one young woman crosses the ocean to make a new life for herself.
Eilis Lacey has come of age in small-town Ireland in the years following World War Two. Though skilled at bookkeeping, she cannot find a job in the miserable Irish economy. When an Irish priest from Brooklyn offers to sponsor Eilis in America — to live and work in a Brooklyn neighborhood “just like Ireland” — she decides she must go, leaving her fragile mother and her charismatic sister behind.
Eilis finds work in a department store on Fulton Street, and when she least expects it, finds love. Tony, a blond Italian from a big family, slowly wins her over with patient charm. He takes Eilis to Coney Island and Ebbets Field, and home to dinner in the two-room apartment he shares with his brothers and parents. He talks of having children who are Dodgers fans. But just as Eilis begins to fall in love with Tony, devastating news from Ireland threatens the promise of her future.
FictionBook ebook Brooklyn download. FB2 book Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín read iPad on Powells. Hardback Brooklyn for reader. Paperback book Brooklyn Colm Tóibín buy cheap on Kobo. Online ebook Brooklyn read online.